In a city best known for its world-class university, it seems ﬁtting that Cambridge’s latest luxe hotel opening is intrinsically linked to its academic faculties.
University Arms Cambridge ﬁrst opened in 1834 as the city’s original hotel, overlooking Parker’s Piece, a 25-acre common. The hotel relaunches this month after an £80 million ($105 million) transformation, facilitated by architect John Simpson and interior designer Martin Brudnizki, one of Europe’s foremost leading interior architects whose past projects include Miami Soho Beach House, Scott’s, The Ivy and most recently the acclaimed Beekman in New York.
The building’s 1960s and ‘70s extensions are now entirely done away with, replaced by an attractive, classically designed front that is in-keeping with Cambridge’s better-known architectural heritage. Brudnizki approached the project with a self-professed vision to “try and create this hotel so it becomes the best hotel in Cambridge again”, restoring its faded glory.